How can you have great oral hygiene with braces?
Taking care of braces is much more difficult than taking care of teeth. This is because braces have countless tiny spaces that trap food. The trapped food particles, in turn, causes plaque, which leads to dental decay and cavities. Therefore, it is important to brush your teeth after every meal, rinse with mouthwash and floss your teeth and braces at least once a day.
Although it seems tedious, it is something that both a parent and the child should prepare for. Below are tips to help you have great dental hygiene with braces on.
How to Have Great Oral Hygiene with Braces
1. Brushing And Flossing
The main dental care for braces is brushing and flossing.
- Prepare to brush by taking off elastics and any other removable parts of your orthodontic appliance.
- Clean your braces. Brush the top of each wire down to the bottom by holding your brush at a 45-degree angle.
- Brush your teeth by cleaning each tooth individually.
- Floss once a day
- Rinse and check your teeth
- Professional care by visiting a Dentist or an Orthodontist at least once a month
2. Visit The Orthodontist Regularly
You need to visit the orthodontist regularly for adjustments to your appliance. Note that you might experience some tightness or pain due to the adjustments. Consult your orthodontist if the discomfort or pain does not go away or becomes extreme.
3. Buy Oral Care Products For Brace Care
There are a number of products that can help you take care of your braces. These include Oral-B electric toothbrush heads, which are made specifically for braces, Oral-B threader floss that can maneuver around your wires and Crest, toothpaste that kills germs in spaces between your braces.
These products will not do all the work for you but they certainly help.
Visit Schmitt Orthodontics For Brace Care
Remember that proper oral care is the key to always having a beautiful, healthy smile. If you need help with fitting or cleaning your braces, please book an appointment with a Schmitt Orthodontics expert.